Principal Java Developer
Principal Java Developer - Be a 'Mini-CTO' | Distributed Systems @ Scale | Flexible Working Environment
Up to £110,000 per annum plus bonus, stock and benefits
Java Developer | 'Mini-CTO' | Distributed Systems @ Scale
Are you a highly talented Java Developer with in-depth knowledge of (Java) distributed systems at scale, solving complex problems and building highly scalable solutions?
Would you relish the opportunity to be a 'Mini-CTO' across multiple squads of talented engineers?
Would you consider yourself an authority in your domain?
Can you enable teams to move faster, smarter and more efficiently in a continuous delivery manner?
If you enjoy collaboratively guiding company-wide technology initiatives and principles, then this is the opportunity for you…
Principal Java Developer - Based in amazing offices in the West End, one of the UK's leading ecommerce businesses is looking for Principal Java Developers to join their fast-growing London team. Working in tribes and squads they have an engineering culture that fosters trust and autonomy, so each squad can create their own backlog, deploy code when they want and don't have dependencies to deliver.
You will enjoy a range of technical challenges that impact directly on 70 million global users including data engineering, cloud services, developer enablement, scalability, optimisation, machine learning, real-time accuracy, building world-class APIs and automation. You can utilise your experience to have direct impact on the growth and development of their product.
The company has firm beliefs of how to engineer their amazing products:
- A clear definition of success for every piece of work.
- They deploy multiple times a day.
- They use design reviews to validate every significant change.
- They deliver our products using our defined technology standards.
- They peer review every change.
- Their Definitions of Done include being live in production… responsibly!
- You build it, you run it.
Most importantly, these are organic beliefs. They iterate. They learn. They grow. And their principles adapt with them.
As a Principal Java Developer you can expect:
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment where there is significant flexibility to offer a rewarding work life balance. .
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions.
- Overall responsibility to clarify, elaborate and iterate on the company's technology roadmap and designs.
- The opportunity for personal development, growth/mentoring of engineers and influence across the business.
- Collaboration across all relevant product engineering development lifecycles.
What are they looking for from Principal Java Developer?
- Demonstrable experience as a senior engineering lead, ideally within a product technology company.
- Evidence of leading teams in complex technical scenarios to successful completion, resulting in significant business impact.
- Use of various methodologies for continuous delivery and improvement.
- Leading one or more groups with multiple teams.
- Product-oriented, customer-focused emphasis on rapid delivery of value to production.
- Comfortable balancing technical direction with the business value needed factoring into solutions multiple constraints such as scale, distribution, costs, users, patterns.
- You are an advocate for iterative software delivery and world class engineering, demonstrating best practice.
- It would be useful to have experience in large scale systems deployed to AWS.
- Previous experience with one or more of the following technologies: Java, Python, NoSQL databases, distributed workflow (Hadoop/Spark), machine learning, SQL, Elastic Search- recent coding experience with mastery of one or more programming language
What's in it for you?
In addition to the exciting technical challenges and amazing colleagues you will have a working environment that has been created to foster success! As well as all the usual perks such as barista coffee, fizzy & fresh drinks, fresh & dried fruit, veg, hummus and popcorn they provide for all kinds of 'down-time' in the office, including table tennis, pool table, football, xbox, office scooters, relaxation pods and massage chairs.
They also provide for your health with medical insurance, health screening options, gym membership, headspace subscription and an employee assistance programme to support you.
This really is the complete package for any ambitious, talented Software Engineer. Please reply with you CV or call Simon Evans for an informal conversation.
Principal Java Developer - Be a 'Mini-CTO'| Distributed Systems @ Scale | Flexible Working Environment
Burns Sheehan Ltd will consider applications based only on skills and ability and will not discriminate on any grounds.